Tag Archives: Backyard

Geodesic Chicken Coop Completed

This afternoon I finished the project I’d wanted to finish last week – the geodesic chicken coop from Zip Tie Domes is finished!

Completed Coop
Completed Coop

Chicken Wire

After working on the dome the last time, I still needed to finish covering it. That meant getting the dome covered in chicken wire, adding a tarp, perches, hanging the food and water, and including the nest boxes.

It takes a while to add the chicken wire. The folks at Zip Tie Domes estimated something like three hours and recommended having help. That would have made it easier.

We opted to use a 2″ wire for the upper parts and 1″ for the lower. I worked on it a couple times and had the lower level done and part of the upper level covered. Today  I spent a couple more hours covering the rest and using zip-ties to fasten everything in place.

Finishing Touches

Next up was adding the perches, food, water, and nest boxes.

Natural Perches
Natural Perches
New hanging bucket with nipples
New hanging bucket with nipples
Nest boxes
Nest boxes

Last Details

I have a few other details still to add. Anchors, to make sure it doesn’t blow over, and handles so that it’s easier to move. The tarp I bought was larger and covers more of the dome so it’ll have to be unhooked along the bottom to reveal handles once they’re added.

After a few days to get used to the new coop we’ll start letting the chickens roam again. The coop will move around the property a few feet at a time. Maybe weekly, we’ll see. The main thing is just not leaving it in one place for too long.

Old Coop

The old shack/coop will eventually come down and be removed, but that’s a project for another time!

Remove Pool

Urgency: High
Cost: $??, unknown to haul away
Status: In progress

Description: There’s a large above-ground pool behind the house that the mortgage appraiser wanted removed before the house sold. We were told it had been removed only to discover that it hadn’t actually happened. The seller’s agent was going to still remove it, but after encountering yellow jackets gave up. So now we’re left with getting rid of the the thing. It hasn’t been maintained. Under each of the metal joint caps yellow jackets set up hives. Seriously. Anywhere from six to ten of the hives. I’d gotten rid of a bunch of them and then while removing the caps I discovered another big one. They were all up inside and when I removed the cover I realized I’d uncovered another hive. I retreated, got the spray and took care of that one. There’s a reason I was doing it right before sunset when any yellow jackets wouldn’t be active.

I still have some more caps to remove and then the top and side braces. I think once that’s done it’ll sort of collapse. I’m not sure. Eventually I’ll get it over to the junk pile as more stuff to get hauled away.

Update 09/19/2009:
The pool is mostly gone now. We finished dismantling it. Cut up the metal side into manageable sheets and hauled it over to the junk pile. The only thing remaining is the liner needs to get dragged over to the junk pile. Pieces of it are already over there and the rest should be mostly drained by now.

Pool Gone
Pool Gone

Tools Needed

Screwdriver, which we have

Parts Needed

None