Plant Garlic

Urgency: High
Cost: $39
Status: In Progress
Description: I ordered garlic from Big John’s Garden this year. I was a little late in ordering so many varieties had sold out but I still got the Inchelium Red Garlic I wanted and another variety (was going to be Spanish Roja Garlic, but that was gone by the time my order got filled). One hard neck and one soft neck variety.

Tools Needed

Shovel, rake

Parts Needed

None

Photos

Yesterday ended up being a nice day and since I still had time before it got late I went out and started digging. Dug out the sod, dug down another layer, put the sod back in and then buried it. There are a fair number of stones in the ground, some of which I put around the sides of the bed including one big monster I hauled out. I’ll rake it out some more and get the garlic planted soon. The completed bed is 7′ x 4.5′

Build Compost Containers

Urgency: High
Cost: $0
Status: Completed, but the remains need to be removed.
Description: We need to start compost piles. Kate already hauled down some wire fencing we can use to get them going.

Tools Needed

Screwdriver, metal shears

Parts Needed

Remove Pool

Urgency: High
Cost: $??, unknown to haul away
Status: In progress

Description: There’s a large above-ground pool behind the house that the mortgage appraiser wanted removed before the house sold. We were told it had been removed only to discover that it hadn’t actually happened. The seller’s agent was going to still remove it, but after encountering yellow jackets gave up. So now we’re left with getting rid of the the thing. It hasn’t been maintained. Under each of the metal joint caps yellow jackets set up hives. Seriously. Anywhere from six to ten of the hives. I’d gotten rid of a bunch of them and then while removing the caps I discovered another big one. They were all up inside and when I removed the cover I realized I’d uncovered another hive. I retreated, got the spray and took care of that one. There’s a reason I was doing it right before sunset when any yellow jackets wouldn’t be active.

I still have some more caps to remove and then the top and side braces. I think once that’s done it’ll sort of collapse. I’m not sure. Eventually I’ll get it over to the junk pile as more stuff to get hauled away.

Update 09/19/2009:
The pool is mostly gone now. We finished dismantling it. Cut up the metal side into manageable sheets and hauled it over to the junk pile. The only thing remaining is the liner needs to get dragged over to the junk pile. Pieces of it are already over there and the rest should be mostly drained by now.

Pool Gone

Pool Gone

Tools Needed

Screwdriver, which we have

Parts Needed

None

Add Broadband Cable Internet

Urgency: High
Cost: $99 installation, $60 cable modem, service agreement
Status: Done, internet installed 8/24/2009

Description: No internet! It’s terrible. Anyway, after an arduous process we got the service appointment set up. They should be out soon to do the installation and then we’ll be able to get online.

Tools Needed

None

Parts Needed

Cable modem
Ethernet cable

Remove Kitchen Cupboard Doors

Urgency: High
Cost: $0 to remove, disposal?
Status: In progress, 8/15/2009

Description: The cupboard doors are not good. They had to go. It looks much better without them. Later on we’ll repaint the wood and eventually remodel, but for now it just needs to be opened up.

Tools Needed

Screwdriver
Wheelbarrow (to haul to junk pile)

Parts Needed

None (for removal)
Paint (for cleaning up shelves)

Replace Clothes Dryer

Urgency: High
Cost: $378 before tax and extended warranty
Status: Done

Description: The house came with all appliances, which was good for just moving in but the clothes dryer doesn’t actually dry the clothes. It might just be an easy fix, but it’s also so small that you can’t do a large load or blankets.

Update: Ended up getting a new 6.5 cu foot capacity dryer at Lowe’s. They brought it out, laughed over the old dryer, and installed the new one on the 1st.

Tools Needed

Parts List

Replace Electrical Outlets

Urgency: High
Estimated Cost: $75
Status: In progress

Description: Our nearly 40-year-old house has a number of outlets with wiring problems and others so loose that a two-pronged cord will just fall out. It’s time to get all of the outlets replaced. There are X outlets in the house.

Updates: We have the parts and tools, now I just need the time to do it.

Tools Needed

Screwdriver
Voltage Tester

Parts List

Electrical Tape
Wire Cap
New receptacle
New faceplates

New Outlet

New Outlet