We’ve been doing a bit of work around the place. This is a case of there’s always so much to do that it can be difficult to decide where to start. Right now the upcoming project is getting the septic pumped. I’ve been clearing the path from the front gate back along the house and today worked on filling some holes so it’s more level (still have a lot to do).
The dirt (with grass roots) came from a section of our path that I was leveling off. Basically trying to get it clear and easy for the pumper to get the hoses back to the tank. When that’s done I’ll uncover the tank and set up the pumping. It’s been just about five years since we moved in, so time to get it done.
We noticed this year that there were a bunch of tall flowering plants and discovered that they were Tansy Ragwort and listed as a Noxious Weed. It’s also on the Thurston county list. A couple patches had sprung up in the chicken yard and on the hill. I cut the stems and dug up the roots. I felt bad for the bees that were obviously attracted to the flowers but we plan to try and remove many of the invasive species and plant either native plants or food-producing plants. We’re still learning about the plants. I need to study more, learn to identify the plants that don’t belong and work on bringing in the plants that do. It’ll take time.